
Here's a slice of music history right here. Uncle Tupelo's last demo tape, assumably the one that got them signed to Rockville (formerly Giant). If anyone has the elusive Colorblind & Rhymeless.....please email me!So this is very similar to the first UT album, a lot of early versions of those tracks on here. Only a little less polished, a little rougher around the edges. I really like the version of Whiskey Bottle and Screen Door on this thing. I tried and tried to find a picture or something of the original artwork (if there was any) but came up empty handed. I got the pictures used in the artwork from the excellent factorybelt.net. If you want to waste some time peep into the articles section and check out some of the early articles on Uncle Tupelo in there. Also got to love the beer rating article (I liked it so much I put it on the back artwork!).
MP3 @ 192
Uncle Tupelo - Not Forever, Just For Now (Demo Tape)
Afterthought:
Thanks to DownSouth who provided me with a scan of the original artwork for this guy, there it is right there. Also want to point out that this demo was the one that got UT labeled Best Unsigned Band in America by CMJ.


Good stuff. On the beer rating, I like how the Pabst rating pre-dates Pabst's more recent hipster surge. That's how I remember Pabst. Old man beer.
ReplyDeleteCheck your email for "Colorblind & Rhymeless"
ReplyDeleteOk, now who has a copy of the "Live and Otherwise" demo cassette from 1988?
ReplyDeleteThis is great, thanks a lot! UT are among my favorite bands, and since I never really could get into Son Volt (and even less Wilco) I'm always grateful for more UT stuff!
ReplyDeleteCheers,
MLP
DownSouth, thanks for the link!!!
ReplyDeletefunny you should mention Live and Otherwise....I'm getting ready to post it. Now thanks to you I can do the whole demo trilogy!
Paul, yes...I don't get the fascination with Pabst either.
MLP, I understand not being able to get into Wilco...but Son Volt!! :P
Nice to see the boys enjoy Bass Ale. My all time favourite. Thanks for the wicked post!
ReplyDeleteAre there any Son Volt demos out there?
ReplyDeleteSurely cowpunk originated in the early to mid 80's with bands like Jason & The Scorchers, the Rainmakers the Long Ryders and Lone Justice. 'Absolutely Sweet Marie' and 'Lost Highway' by Jason&The Scorchers being prime examples.
ReplyDeleteUncle Tupelo probably done a better job overall of integrating punk via country through the murky haze of Creedence and the early 90's grunge scene but the way the Scorchers melded country soul influences into their glitzy take on mid-80's arena rock and the Long Ryders propelled their cowpunk aboard a wave of Byrdsian jangle rock and Gene Clark era country rock influences surely helped pave the way for the Jayhawks and UT the same way Merle Haggard and co paved the way for Gram Parsons and the Byrds who in turn paved the way for the Outlaw movement of the 70's.