
Well now, this was an ambitious project. I originally intended it to be a single disc type thing, but the more I got into it the more songs I had to include.....I finally stopped at 4 volumes. This is Volume 1. The other volumes will follow in the next few days. On this one I tried to mainly include the heavy hitters of Alt Country (whatever that means), and I typically gave precedence to songs that received radio airplay. I did however (throughout the whole series) only include one song from an album.....in case your wondering why "Windfall" is not on there (yeh, yeh....). Anyway, I wanted to hurry and get this series up....cause I'll be moving in a few weeks and will be without internet for a couple of months. What that means to you guys is no updates for 2 months!! So I'm trying to overload you with stuff before I take my hiatus. I had alot of fun making this, and it is by no means comprehensive.....it's just songs from my CD collection, and it had to be songs I at least on some level like (in case you were wondering why no 16 Horsepower on here....sorry, but I just don't like them very much)
Enjoy it guys....more to follow.
MP3


Great starter set for any one interested in this era of music! Nicely done. That said, I trust the Waco Brother will be appearing on a future volume?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the new sampler! I must say I've been enjoying your blog a lot, so I guess it's time I let you know...before you disappear for two months. As a longtime Wilco fan, I have always been curious about John Stirrat's first band, so thanks especially for the Blue Mountain. It would be terrific if you could post a few more of their songs so I could get a feel for the group before I take the plunge and buy their one available album that hasn't gone out of print yet. Besides, I'm in Japan right now, and the shipping fees are killing me, don't ya know...
ReplyDeleteWith your beautiful web-unwieldly splendid music congratulated and beautiful filmjes. continue this way. You know David Olney?Deze singer-songwriter are is very popular in Europe and certainly here in the Netherlands. He would not not become on your web-unwieldly certainly. To greet from the Netherlands ArthurfromHolland
ReplyDeleteWow, superb job!!! Any chance of a repost of Todd Snider, Near Truths & Hotel Rooms and/or any other Todd you might have thats not been posted before.
ReplyDeletethanks. looking forward to your triumphant return, whenever that may be.
ReplyDeleteNice comp, thanks!
ReplyDeleteDo you know of the band Varnaline? It was Anders Parker's band before his solo and Gob Iron stuff. I love that band and if you don't have SWEET LIFE by them you should.
Months without the internet!? Where are you moving, the North Pole?
Thanks, mate. At last I can find out what all the "alt country" fuss is about! I look forward to listening to this.
ReplyDeleteJohn_R in Western Australia
Wow, very cool. This comp sounds like the soundtrack to my life during that decade. Thanks!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.awesomeometer.blogspot.com/
alright, glad you guys like this one.
ReplyDeleteok, let's see...the Wacos are on Vol. 2 I believe :P
I don't know david olney....I'll check him out
I have some more Todd Snider bootlegs indeed I can put up (but they pale in comparison to the "tales from moondawg's taver, which I'm sure you've already downloaded :P)
and finally, yes I know varnaline....pretty good stuff. sadly I did not include it on this series of samplers :(
I will say I love Ander's songs with Gob Iron though, I've heard there is a second Gob Iron album in the works....can't wait.
Whoops -- I see here online how it says that John Stirrat wasn't really a member of Blue Mountain. I guess I must have just remembered reading something about them working together at some point. (giggling nervously) Hey, that's why I'm here, right? To learn more about this music. Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm with you...
ReplyDeleteThanks for this comp, very good work, lots of stuff is new to me and sounds great!
ReplyDeleteThanks . Great Stuff and very very nice artworks.
ReplyDeleteI know about half the artists on your compilations and am looking forward to listening to the ones that are new to me. Will make a great road trip listening...Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteJust copped 'Radar Gun' - thanks for the news!
ReplyDeleteShuggiemac.
I loaded all four of the truer samplers earlier this week..they a re a pure joy and your covers are also excellent..thanks...
ReplyDeletesluggo